Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sunset

Today was one of those days. We got a new dog yesterday, a beautiful little puppy, so I am going to stay home every day for the next couple of weeks to keep it company. I've also been looking after my uncle's dog for the last couple of weeks; he's a much older dog - still a very lovely, friendly dog - but I don't think he likes having the puppy around. It's not really a big deal, I just have to make sure to keep them separated.

The big dog likes to be around people so I've let him come inside for the last week or so. He's not a very demanding dog - so long as he gets walked in the morning and afternoon and I feed him his dinner, he's happy. He pretty much sleeps the days away. Of course, having a very curious and playful puppy in the same house as a sleepy old dog is a bit of a problem. The pup wants to play but the dog definitely isn't interested. While he hasn't bit her yet, she keeps trying to make friends while he's trying to sleep so I fear that, as placid as he is, he might bite her. I don't want her to be scared of other dogs so I spent a lot of today trying to keep the puppy occupied so she didn't bother the other dog.

Today we had a lot of rain. It absolutely bucketed down for an hour or so and the puppy began to get restless. Her razor-sharp teeth kept finding their way around my toes, fingers, and if I happened to be lying down, my ears. I couldn't put the big dog outside while it was raining so I had to be vigilant about watching where the puppy went. I was beginning to get tired of chasing her around all day and was looking forward to my brother coming home so he could play with her for a while. At about four-thirty my brother got in touch with me to say that he'd been in a car accident and his car had been written off. No-one was hurt but it means he will be without a car until he can get the insurance company to pay up so he can buy a new one. My mum just so happens to drive home from work along the same road where my brother's accident had taken place so on her way home, in the pouring rain, she was confronted with an accident scene involving her son's car. I'll bet she was glad to see that he was okay. Anyway, my mum left the accident scene having made sure that everything was being sorted out only to call me about ten minutes later to tell me that her car had broken down and she was waiting for some roadside assistance. It wasn't my family's lucky day today.

A little while later that evening, while I was trying to eat my dinner (and a certain puppy was intent on trying to eat my feet) I got another call from my brother to say that his car had been towed and he needed a lift home. The rain had more or less stopped by then so I finished my dinner and headed out to pick my brother up. As I was driving, the sun began to break through the clouds on the horizon, producing one of the most beautiful sunsets I've seen in a long time. The whole western sky was saturated with dozens of shades of orange. By the time I got to where I was going, the sun had fallen below the horizon and the sky had changed from deep orange to competing hues of pink and blue. I only wish I'd had my camera.

2 comments:

bindhiya said...

Hi Muser,
Hope and pray the best for your family.
take care
bindi

Cece said...

I love sunsets like that. I am so glad your brother was not injured and I hope your family is back on four wheels again soon. Oh and good luck with the puppy. They are so much work.