Thursday, February 14, 2008

Forgettable

I don't expect people to remember me. What I mean is, when I meet people through friends or at a party, if we happen to see each other again, I don't expect those people to remember having met me before. I just don't see myself as a particularly memorable, life-of-the-party type of person. Perhaps it's because I am chameleon-like in my ability to blend in to the background as I try not to be noticed; I'm just not very comfortable around people I don't know. That said, it's not as if I lack social skills - I can talk to people once the ice has been broken, and even occasionally break it myself - but I usually just awkwardly keep to myself when in those type of situations.

It's probably because I have an inferiority complex. Actually, it's really quite simple: I feel inferior to people; maybe I should call it an inferiority simplex. Stemming from that is my inability to correct people when they make a mistake. For instance, I met a guy who either misheard or forgot my name. The second and third times I saw him he called me by a name that sounded like, but was not, my name. Most people would probably have a laugh about it and then say something like, 'actually, my name's ...' but I didn't want to correct him. For a week or so after that he called me by this name until someone else realised and brought it to his attention. I pretended that I hadn't noticed that he had been calling me the wrong name. Pretty pathetic really.

2 comments:

kylie said...

that's two posts in a row where you said you're pathetic. tut tut
i've done all the stuff you're talking about...what a miserable pair :)
theres so much i could say to you about your last few posts but i seem to have hit the doldrums and its not happening, but dont mention that at my place

Kookaburra said...

I am very forgetful with peoples' names. Especially if I met them in a place that I am not accustomed to seeing them. This used to cause me to shun them and they thought that I was being very rude. It took a lot of courage for me to apologise and then ask them to remind me of their name. Only the other day my wife,Jo and I met a woman at the shopping mall and we got chatting as you do. After we went our separate ways I had to ask Jo for the woman's name.I try word association to help me remember these days. But when I was probably about your age i was extremely self-conscious about it and so kept myself to myself. Try not to be that way - lighten up.