Friday, February 22, 2008

Manners

I saw something on TV last week that, despite the fact that it was mindless, daytime-TV filler garbage, irritated me to no end. One of the morning shows invited some lady on to discuss etiquette and table manners, etc. After spending quite some time talking about the precise angle at which your knife and fork should be placed (and the orientation of each implement in terms of upside down or right way up) on your plate when you have finished your meal, she went on to discuss more important things. Like how the correct reply to the greeting "How do you do?" is not "Fine thank you," but instead is "How do you do?" or "Nice to meet you". She explained that "How do you do?" actually means "Nice to meet you" and that it was inappropriate to reply as if you had been asked "How are you?"

First of all, I think manners are incredibly important; they are a way of conveying respect to people and I'm really big on that. What irritated me about this particular 'lesson' was that everything seemed entirely irrelevant to modern society. Does it matter if you eat your main course with a salad fork? Or if you reply "I'm fine thank you," when someone greets you with "How do you do?" When was the last time anyone even used that phrase when not addressing the Queen? I mean, when people greet you with "How are you?" or "How you going?" they're not actually asking how you are, it's just a greeting people use instead of just saying "hello". That someone would be so pedantic about such trivial things infuriated me (yes, I know it's a little hypocritical to say that given how trivial many of my musings are but I'm still going to say it). Why should this sort of information be widely distributed when the vast majority of people are ignorant of far more important issues?

Perhaps I was just having a bad day.

2 comments:

Cece said...

Ah finally a post from you that made me laugh. I so understand what you mean here. When I ask someone, "How are you today," the expected answere is, "Fine, how are you." and I reply with, "Good". We usually do it as we are walking past each other. And several times it has donned on me that I have barley paid attention to the person as I past, I didn't even stop to wait for their reply, nor did they stop for mine. What I find interesting are those that take you literaly and when you ask them, "How do you do?" They proceed to tell you everything that has gone wrong that day. Then you are somewhat taken by suprise because they did not follow the pattern that we all have down so pat. So you are obliged to stop and actually look at them and grin and node, then walk away shaking your head.
Anyway,I am proud that you made me laugh. Now do it again tomorrow.

Cece said...

Hey Muser,
I hope that you will find the time to get over and read my post. I am hoping you will find some inspiration in it. Anyhoo, I hope you have a wonderful weekend and that something postive happens. Life is a miracle, so live it up!