Sunday, February 10, 2008

Split Up

I found out yesterday that my cousin has just separated from her husband. They have been married less than eighteen months. I don't know any of the details about whether they've split for good or whether they're trying to work it out or even why they decided to separate in the first place.

They had a beautiful wedding. The thing I most remember is the groom performing a song he'd written for his bride. During the reception he slipped away from all the guests and then called for everyone to turn to the back of the room, where he was sitting behind a grand piano. He nervously announced that he was going to play a song he'd written and then began to play and sing. Despite the hours he had practiced, he was overcome by the occasion and his voice was a little shaky; you could hear the emotion behind the words he was singing. He was more vulnerable than I'd ever seen him. I suppose that's why it stuck with me. Not only was it a lovely romantic gesture but the groom wasn't someone who ever appeared uncomfortable or emotional. True, I didn't know him very well but you get a sense about people and the sense I got about him was that he was always a picture of confidence and control. He was a good-looking guy who came from a wealthy family and he was always very friendly. It was almost as if he was too friendly and sometimes it seemed artificial, as if he was just putting up a front and not letting you see the real person behind the perfect facade.

The two of them did that as a couple, too. They always seemed like they had the perfect relationship. I know better than to take stuff like that at face value - if something looks too good to be true it almost always is. I hope that's not all their relationship was, something just for appearances. If that's the case, what are they left with? Some great wedding photos and a year and a half of wondering what went wrong? I hope not.

2 comments:

Cece said...

Yeah well sometimes loving someone is not always enough. Marriage is such a hard relationship to keep going. Trust me, I know because my husband and I are about to celebrate our 12th anniversary. Perhaps it was social status differences, perhaps it was her family, or his family not approving and causing a riff, or perhaps it was just a lack of communication and drifting apart. What ever the reason, the end result is very sad. I just hope there are no children envolved with the seperation, because the children are who suffer the most.
I hope you have a wonderful day today, and do something fun for yourself. I want to see your self confidence and self esteem grow my unknown friend. You must start believing in yourself. Your writing is captivating, and I am able to sense and very intelligent soul behind it. You appear to be such a kind, caring soul, therefore, you have so much to offer someone. Please go out and fight for what your heart wants. And I hope you win over the girl of your dreams.

kylie said...

i remember when my cousin separated after a short marriage...i was sooo relieved that their perfect relationship obviously wasn't. twisted way to see it i guess, but that was what i thought.
have you chatted with (not chatted up, note) the tennis girl???
cheers