Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Step Forward

For a couple of hours last night I sat on the back verandah in silence, taking pictures of the night sky. I’ve been meaning to really test my camera out for weeks now so I’m glad that I finally got around to doing it. I experimented with long-exposure shots (something I’d never tried before), and I now feel pretty confident using the camera in that type of situation. As an added bonus, I took a couple of shots I’m really pleased with. I’ll try to post them as soon as I have access to a better internet connection.

The place I’m house-sitting for the next couple of weeks is far enough away from the city and suburban lights that practically all the light I can see at night originates from the moon (although moonlight actually originates from the sun so that's not terribly accurate). It’s probably the best place for me to start learning about night-sky photography because all I have to do is step out onto the back deck, point the camera towards the stars and click the shutter release. The universe does the rest.

Being away from the potential distractions of home for a little while, I hope to use this time to do some writing. I’m not expecting myself to churn out a novel in the next couple of weeks but if I could get myself into the routine of writing for a few hours every day it would be a big step in the right direction. I’ll revisit the stories I started last November and hopefully finish them off and start something new. I want to do it and, right now, I even feel like I can do it so over the next couple of weeks I’ll just have to constantly remind myself I am capable – I just need to try.

2 comments:

kylie said...

yes yes yes
this is more like it
:)

Kookaburra said...

Hey Muser,
Just called by to say hello. How's the house-sitting been? I look forward to seeing some of your photos :)

Mark.